Folders4Gmail works again

A week after Gmail added Drag and Drop to their labels, Folders4Gmail is working again. Get the latest version here.

Also, remember that you should select show all in Gmail’s Settings > Labels tab.
This is not strictly necessary for Folders4Gmail to work. But if you don’t select show all, half of your labels will hide in the sublabels and the other half under Gmail’sá More button.

Sorry to all of you who have waited patiently for the update. Unfortunately, this time fixing the script was much harder than usual.

Update:
The update (version 1.5) didn’t work with ths Gmail Labs Tasks feature. Fixed in version 1.51. Thanks to Scott Dafforn, who found the problem.

Update 2 (July 9, 2009) The updated script (version 1.5) used a lot of CPU time. Hopefully, the problem should be fixed now (version 1.52).

23 Responses to Folders4Gmail works again

1. Nishant Singh says:

Hello Arend,
    First of all, thank you for the wonderful work. It really helps.

Unfortunately, the update is not working for me.

I installed GreaseMonkey and installed the version 1.5 of the script.
    However, my labels are not getting organized in a hierarchy.They were working fine before the gmail interface changed.

I use Firefox 3.5. I have several other extensions in Firefox and I also disabled all of them and tried but this did not fix it for me.

Please suggest if you see there is something more that I need to do.
    Thanks again.

2. Hello Nishant,

do you use Gmail Labs Tasks? If so, you need to install version 1.51, the update-of-the-update.

If that doesn’t help, please send me an email: http://arendvr.com/about/

3. mahvin says:

Two very important issues here:

1) If you’re using Better Gmail, you’ll have to wait until they update the add-on, or you can disable Better Gmail, and use Greasemonkey with Arend’s updated userscript (Mine works with FF 3.5)

2) Google chrome no longer needs the Greasemetal extension, so putting the updated userscript in the My Documents/userscript folder will not work. Instead, move the userscript to Chrome’s local settings default user script folder. In XP this would be like: c:\documents and settings\\application data\local settings\application data\google\chrome\user data\default\user script.

Keep in mind to append the target string with the –enable-user-scripts under the shortcut properties. One space after chrome.exe

4. Jeremie says:

Thank you very much for your script. It is very usefull for me and a lot of people I imagine.
    And thank you for the quickness of your update.

By theway, it also works for Safari, at least Safari 4 on mac (with GreaseKit instead of GreseMonkey for Firefox).

5. Jim Reisert says:

I have tried the new version now on two different computers. Both are Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.5, Greasemonkey 0.8.20090123.1. In both cases, the add-on consumes 100% of a CPU while running. If I close my gmail tab, CPU usage goes back to 0%.

6. Nishant Singh says:

Hello Arend,
    Thanks for the help.
    It is working fine now.

7. Kurt Carter says:

Hi Arend,

Vielen Dank fuer ein solches Programm, dass so gut in Chrome fonktionert!

Thank you, Arend, for helping all of us who have made the jump to Chrome from Firefox. This updated script works perfectly in Chrome.

Could you please let the nice folks at Lifehacker know to include it in their Better Gmail 2 for Chrome package? They haven’t updated it and their old version of your folders4gmail extension doesn’t work.

8. Hi Kurt,

Better Gmail for Chrome seems to be a collection of userscript files that you have to copy by hand. You could just copy the latest version of Folders4Gmail into your userscript directory. Just remember to also delete the old version.

To ask the folks at Lifehacker for an update, use the Google Group:

9. gho says:

thanks for a great add-on!

before i install, i just want to ask — does this support more than two levels of sub-folders?

for example:

Family/Dad/Sports
    Family/Dad/Cars
    Family/Mom/Shopping/Clothes
    Family/Mom/Shopping/Electronics
    Family/Mom/Knitting

thanks!

10. gho says:

heh heh… well, i just answered my own question… it *does* work for at least 3 levels… :) i’ll explore more levels as i go through and sort out my mail…

this is spectacular! :D

11. Yes, Folders4Gmail does work for more than two levels of sub-folders.
    But the label box in Gmail is not very wide, so if you have too many sub-levels, the label names get cut off.

12. gho says:

ahh, i understand. i’ve been playing with GmailSidePaneWidth to help with that. so far, i’ve just kept my sub-folder names short so i don’t run into too many problems. but this has been a great tool for helping me organize my 50+ labels.

i want to use gmail as my main mail reader, so i needed something like this to manage multiple dozens of labels (folders) from my other mailboxes. :)

thanks again!

13. Sirul says:

Hi, since yesterday folders4gmail is not working fine. It does show the + right to the labels but when you clic on it, nothing happens. “Subfolders” are not expanded, or if I had one expanded, the – button doesn’t collapse. I’m using it on Google Chrome.

Thank you.

14. ignacio says:

same here, in chrome 4.0.22 shows the + but, it does not work

15. Brianna says:

Does anyone have an answer to this??? This just started happening for me yesterday :(:( The only way I can make the nested labels expand is to make the virtual labels real labels so I can click on them. Once I do, the sublabels appear. I can only collapse with a refresh of the screen.

I know others who are using this script with Firefox, and they are having no problems. This appears limited to Chrome….. It was working for me great, and now it’s not. The +/- do nothing:( Please help!!!

16. This seems to be a problem with Chrome 4. I’ll look into it. But as Chrome 4 is still in beta, it’s not a high priority. With Chrome 3 Folders4Gmail should work fine.

17. Hi Arend,

Thanks for suggestion reg. the folder problem in Chrome 4. I have downgraded Chrome to 3.0 as Folders4Google is the one script I cannot live without.

Cheers,
    Martijn

18. andy says:

I repackaged your user-script into a chrome extension.

took me a bit to figure it out, but I read. and clicked around

For now I’m hosting the unofficial one, until you find time to host one yourself, crazy webbrowsers… too. many. to. support. must. reach. utility belt.

19. Matt Hawke says:

Just wanted to send my thanks for your work on this script. After looking over the code, I can tell that it’s not a trivial task by any means! :)

20. Nick Z says:

Do you think you could create the same concept for Google Contacts groups? Like, I have lots of contacts from school, but they’re all from different schools. So I want them to be more like:

School/ High School 1
    School/ High School 2
    School/ College
    School/ Teachers

21. Hi Nick,

I don’t use contact groups, so it’s not a problem for me.

22. Allan says:

is there a way to have sub folders without using Firefox?

23. yes, see the Folders4Gmail page for instructions for other browsers: